Phuong Anh “Anne” Tran is our lead attorney in our HCMC Vietnam office. Ms. Tran specializes in corporate and investment law. She has extensive experience in the Healthcare and Real Estate industry. She has had various positions as in-house legal as well as external legal advisor for risk management issues. Ms. Tran has her law degree from Ho Chi Minh City University of Law. In addition, Ms. Tran has a Real Estate Broker Certificate from Open University, Ho Chi Minh City and is a member of Binh Duong Bar.
Phuong Anh has been worked for FV Hospital, TMMC Healthcare Group. Prior to that she worked for RAAS Corporation in Vietnam, a Shanghai listed pharmaceutical and biotech corporate with a network of US$16B, and was the lead attorney at the IBL Law Firm
Senior Immigration and International Commerce Advisor
William Marshak is a former the United States Foreign Service Officer with a career spanning twenty-one years in the U.S. Foreign Commercial Service and overseas assignments in Shanghai, Taiwan, Ho Chi Minh City, Chengdu, and Hanoi. In that capacity, he assisted U.S. companies to enter and succeed in international markets and worked to further U.S. business and commercial objectives abroad.
Prior to entering government service, Mr. Marshak pursued a career in international agriculture with Charoen Pokphand (CP Group) as general manager of their flagship poultry breeding operation in north China, and later, as Marketing Director for Asia for BETCO Inc, a manufacturer of agricultural buildings and animal husbandry systems.
Mr. Marshak is currently based in Hanoi, Vietnam. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Pennsylvania and an MBA degree from the University of Washington in Seattle.Read More
Quynh Nguyen is the Chief Accountant at our Vietnam Office, where she focuses on assisting clients to deftly maneuver through their accounting and tax issues. Our clients benefit from Mrs. Nguyen’s consultations to develop appropriate schemes for profit transfer between parent company and its foreign subsidiaries. Furthermore, our clients value the guidance she provides in minimizing their business’ tax risks and obligations while still ensuring compliant operations in Vietnam
Mrs. Nguyen has over 10 years of experience in tax and accounting. Due to her extensive experience handling complex financial matters, she is highly sought after and valued by her clients. Mrs. Nguyen is well regarded for her experience in financial reporting, corporate governance, and tax consulting.
Mrs. Nguyen earned her Bachelor’s degree in accounting and auditing from Ho Chi Minh City University of Economics. In addition, she also earned her Bachelor of English language at Ho Chi Minh City University of Social science and Humanity, and Chief Accountant Certificate from Ho Chi Minh City University of Economics.Read More
Client Relations & Events Coordinator
Mrs. Phuong Vo just recently began her career with Sullivan, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola, and Klausner as Client Relations at our Vietnam Office. Mrs. Vo is the primary point of contact between SKT and our valuable business and investment clients. In addition, Mrs. Vo is responsible for organizing conferences as well as representing SKT’s presence at business associations like Amcham Vietnam, and VCCI.
Mrs. Phuong Vo has a Diploma in Marketing and Tourism and has over 7 years of experience in the hospitality industry. She has worked oversea as Guest Relation Officer at the Venetian Hotel in Macau China.
Mrs. Vo has exceptional interpersonal skills which make her a great asset to our SKT team. She is known for providing service which regularly exceeds client expectations. Mrs. Vo cares about our clients and strives to build long term relationships through communication and trust.Read More
Hoa Nguyen is the Office Manager of our Vietnam Office. Ms. Nguyen specializes in organizing the firm’s day to day operations to ensure that the office runs smoothly. Additionally, Ms, Nguyen oversees all events, manages the office budget and assists the Controller as needed with accounting functions.
Ms. Nguyen earned her Bachelor’s degree in Chinese Language at Vietnam National University, Hanoi and received her Master of Science in Finance (similar to an M.B.A.) from Chinese Culture University, Taiwan. Her experience working with Embassies and Consulates has given her unique knowledge about visa application procedures.Read More
Eliot F. Krieger is a founding partner of Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP (“SKT”). Mr. Krieger has over 25 years of trial experience and is regarded as one of the top litigators in Southern California. Mr. Krieger oversees the firm’s international offices, regularly traveling between the U.S., Vietnam, and the Philippines. Additionally, Mr. Krieger has associated and consulted with attorneys and law firms in the Philippines for over a decade on various legal issues from criminal defense to assist in negotiating land deals for Philippine corporations.
Mr. Krieger’s extensive trial experience comes from his years at one of the most prestigious Los Angeles law firms, a major international law firm and as an Assistant United States Attorney. During his time in the United States Attorney’s Office, Mr. Krieger oversaw all federal immigration-related cases for the Central District of California and ran the Los Angeles County Immigration Task Force which coordinated local, state and federal immigration fraud prosecution and assisted immigrants and non-immigrants seeking immigration status in Los Angeles County.
Mr. Krieger has been named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list as one of the top 5% of attorneys in Southern California and has been recognized as one of the Top One Percent of Attorneys in America. He has also been honored by the FBI for his prosecution of fraud and corruption. In addition, Mr. Krieger has been appointed as a Judge Pro Tem by the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
Harvard Law School
J.D. / Cum Laude
The Johns Hopkins University
The Johns Hopkins University
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
B.A. / Magna Cum Laude
- Present high profile politician’s wife charged in Federal District Court with money laundering millions of dollars. Resulted in probationary sentence.
- Represented defendant accused of money laundering and structuring 6 million dollars. Resulted in civil compromise with no criminal prosecution.
- Represented defendant accused of using a false passport and aiding a fugitive by the federal government Resulted in no prosecution.
- Represented defendant accused by the US Attorneys Office of misusing millions of dollars of charity money and money from government grants. Resulted in no prosecution.
- Represented defendant accused of sale of millions of dollars of precursor chemicals to methamphetamines, facing over twenty years under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. Resulted in 3 1/2 year sentence.
- United States Department of Justice: Public Corruption and Government Fraud Section
- Prosecuted white-collar crime. Cases included public corruption, money-laundering, health care fraud, HUD fraud and immigration fraud.
- Prosecuted and tried only case in the Central District that convicted defendant of money-laundering for the purposes of tax evasion.
- United States v. Sorochkin (weapons);
- United States v. Batista (bank fraud, identity theft);
- United States v. Ramirez-Molina (immigration);
- United States v. Boujaoude (passport fraud);
- United States v. Laser Eye Center (health care fraud);
- United States v. Greybor Medical Transportation (fraud, money
- laundering, tax evasion)
- Received award from FBI for Laser Eye Center prosecution.
- Served as Indian Crimes Coordinator and Tribal Liaison for the Central District of California. Coordinated all tribal issues involving the United States Attorney’s Office arising in the Central District of California.
- Served as Immigration Fraud Coordinator
- Headed Department of Justice pilot program designed to effectively prosecute fraud crimes perpetrated against undocumented aliens.
- Served as member of Immigration Fraud Task Force
- Served as chairperson of multi-jurisdictional task force targeting fraud perpetrated by immigration consultants and attorneys. Law enforcement members of the task force included representatives from the United States
- Attorney’s Office—Los Angeles County; the District Attorney’s Office—City of Los Angeles; the California Attorney General’s Office; the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the California State Bar. Full task force also included non-law enforcement groups, including the Mexican American Bar Association, the Coalition for Human Rights, the Asian Pacific American Legal Center and a US Immigration Courts judge.
- International Business Experience
- Worked with local counsel in negotiating several land deals regarding structuring of foreign investment in the Philippines.
- Advised and negotiated real estate deals for various Philippine corporations including:
- Cambridge Real Estate Corporation
- Orsal Development Corporation
- Eco-Alternative Building Concepts Corp.
- Developed and arranged funding for three townhouse complexes near Clark, Philippines
Lectures and Classes:
- White Collar Crime, Adjunct Professor / Instructor, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
- “Thinking about Thinking: Integrating Law, Philosophy & Science”, Teaching Fellow / Instructor, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Philosophy, Visiting Assistant Professor (Part-Time), University of Maryland at Baltimore County
- “Government Investigations: I-9s, LCAs, and Other Immigration-Related Investigations”, 16th Annual American Immigration Lawyers Association, California Chapter
- “Remarks on Federal Law Enforcement in Indian Country within the Central District of California”, Tribal and State Law Enforcement Summit, Rancho Mirage, California
- Civil Enforcement of the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act”, Federal Bureau of Investigation Conference on Gambling. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Rifts Over RFRA: Divergent Approaches to the Free Exercise Clause”, Southern California Philosophy Conference, University of California Irvine, California
- “The Utility of a Philosophy Degree for Lawyers”, California State University, Long Beach Pre-Law Program, Long Beach, California
- “Protected Expression: Towards a Speaker-Oriented Theory”, 73 Denver Law Review 69
- The Court Declines in Fairness: Teague v. Lane”, 25 Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review 184
- Los Angeles County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tem
Karl Truong is a partner of Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP (“SKT”) and oversees the firm’s International Practice Group. He focuses on international business transactions, business litigation, intellectual property, and immigration.
Karl is highly regarded for his expertise in guiding businesses into the U.S. market and foreign investment projects into Asia. His robust involvement working closely with domestic and foreign government officials and agencies dates back to his time in Washington, D.C. Karl routinely acts for clients doing business internationally, assisting them with corporate expansions & acquisitions, regulatory compliance, and copyright & trademark defense. Furthermore, he assists his clients with their immigration needs, whether it be L1 or EB-1 visas for his corporate clients or the EB-5 visa for individual investors and their families. Karl regularly rotates through SKT’s offices in Asia.
Karl’s extensive experience in the international practice of law includes serving as in-house counsel for an international media corporation where he responded regulatory and legal issues. Subsequently, he was invited to Capitol Hill to work for a Member of Congress in the House of Representatives with the responsibility for Commerce, International Relations, Immigration, and Science & Technology issues. Prior to joining SKT, Karl was with the Inter-American Development Bank (“IDB”) in Washington, D.C. where he navigated complex transnational contractual issues, liaised with foreign government officials, and provided legal and technical analysis on Bank and government projects.
Karl received his J.D. from Chapman University Fowler School of Law and his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the University of California of Riverside.
- Represented an international media corporation accused of copyright infringement. Resulted in favorable settlement for less than 5% of damages demanded.
- Facilitated the entry of large Asian corporations into the U.S. market through business entity formation, the acquisition of necessary licensing, and adherence to regulatory commercial law.
- Negotiated and secured large real estate leases and acquisitions for foreign manufacturers into Asia.
- Obtained industrial certification and licensing for foreign corporations operating in Asia.
- Advised and liaised with government officials in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Colombia, Panama, and Mexico for transnational energy, transportation, and social projects.
- Negotiated and prepared licensing agreements worldwide for international entertainment corporation.
- Guided Vietnamese and Chinese EB-5 investors through each step of the EB-5 visa
The Future of the Legal Profession feat. Keynote Speaker Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito
“The Global and Multi-jurisdictional Practice of Law”