Phuong Anh “Anne” Tran is our Partner in the HCMC Vietnam office. Ms. Tran specializes in corporate and investment law. She has extensive experience in the Healthcare and Real Estate industry. She has held various positions as in-house legal counsel. Ms. Tran has also provided legal advisory services on risk management issues. Ms. Tran obtained her law degree from Ho Chi Minh City University of Law. She is also a licensed Real Estate Broker and a member of the Binh Duong Bar.
Ms. Tran was a legal advisor of the leading hospital group in Vietnam, FV Hospital and she is the former head of the Legal and Compliance Department of TMMC Healthcare Group. Prior to that she worked for the Vietnamese pharmaceutical and biotech corporation, RAAS Corporation with a network of US$16B, and was the lead attorney at the IBL Law Firm.
- FV Hospital in HCMC. Ms. Tran was responsible for formulating the legal framework for the hospital and setting up their legal department. She also worked with the Department of Health on procedural issues for the daily operations of the clinic.
- TMMC Healthcare. As the head of the Legal and Compliance Department for TMMC Healthcare, Ms. Tran was responsible for establishing the legal and corporate framework for the entire company. She managed all investment matters for the company, its subsidiaries, and its shareholders. Under her tenure and with her guidance, TMMC transformed into a large corporation with a complex corporate structure involving four hospitals, one clinic, and one college. There, she led the Mergers and Acquisitions process, negotiating and preparing all financial and corporate transactions and documents. Ms. Tran was responsible for setting up new companies and restructuring the corporate model.
- International Business Law (IBL) and Partners Law Firm. Ms. Tran advised clients on a variety of corporate and real estate issues. She advised on matters relating to the establishment and operation of enterprises and investment projects in Vietnam. Ms. Tran managed, developed and maintained corporate documents for many clients in Vietnam.
- RAAS Corp (Rare Antibody Antigen Supply, Inc.) Ms. Tran was a legal consultant where she drafted and reviewed all the contracts for the corporation. She directed the company in its reorganization, which involved various registration issues.
Joseph S. Schuchert is a Partner at Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP. Mr. Schuchert joined the firm in 2015, following more than thirty years in the practice of law. Mr. Schuchert has a substantial background in securities law, having served as a principal in a private equity fund, a hedge fund, and a family investment office. Throughout his career, Mr. Schuchert has also been a partner in several law firms dedicated to the representation of financial services firms and their principals.
Experience and Trials:
Mr. Schuchert continues his emphasis on securities and corporate law, representing corporations and their founders in a broad range of corporate and litigation matters. Mr. Schuchert has tried to conclusion more than ninety trials or arbitrations. He is also regularly engaged to represent corporations and their founders in connection with formation, the raising of capital, the purchase or sale of assets, and Board of Directors’ best practices.
In 2017, Mr. Schuchert was appointed as a law lecturer at UC Irvine School of Law, teaching “Alternative Investments- Diverse Legal Issues in an Expanding Asset Class.”
Charitable and Personal:
Mr. Schuchert resides in Southern California with his wife in close proximity to their four adult children. They are passionate in their support of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and are members of the Peninsula Committee Children’s Hospital, a group solely dedicated to raising money for CHLA. They also support and volunteer in connection with Las Floristas and its various programs benefiting Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center in Downey.Read More
Eliot F. Krieger is a founding partner of Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP (“SKT”). Mr. Krieger has over 25 years of trial experience and is regarded as one of the top litigators in Southern California. Mr. Krieger oversees the firm’s international offices, regularly traveling between the U.S., Vietnam, and the Philippines. Additionally, Mr. Krieger has associated and consulted with attorneys and law firms in the Philippines for over a decade on various legal issues from criminal defense to assist in negotiating land deals for Philippine corporations.
Mr. Krieger’s extensive trial experience comes from his years at one of the most prestigious Los Angeles law firms, a major international law firm and as an Assistant United States Attorney. During his time in the United States Attorney’s Office, Mr. Krieger oversaw all federal immigration-related cases for the Central District of California and ran the Los Angeles County Immigration Task Force which coordinated local, state and federal immigration fraud prosecution and assisted immigrants and non-immigrants seeking immigration status in Los Angeles County.
Mr. Krieger has been named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list as one of the top 5% of attorneys in Southern California and has been recognized as one of the Top One Percent of Attorneys in America. He has also been honored by the FBI for his prosecution of fraud and corruption. In addition, Mr. Krieger has been appointed as a Judge Pro Tem by the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
Harvard Law School
J.D. / Cum Laude
The Johns Hopkins University
The Johns Hopkins University
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
B.A. / Magna Cum Laude
- Present high profile politician’s wife charged in Federal District Court with money laundering millions of dollars. Resulted in probationary sentence.
- Represented defendant accused of money laundering and structuring 6 million dollars. Resulted in civil compromise with no criminal prosecution.
- Represented defendant accused of using a false passport and aiding a fugitive by the federal government Resulted in no prosecution.
- Represented defendant accused by the US Attorneys Office of misusing millions of dollars of charity money and money from government grants. Resulted in no prosecution.
- Represented defendant accused of sale of millions of dollars of precursor chemicals to methamphetamines, facing over twenty years under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. Resulted in 3 1/2 year sentence.
- United States Department of Justice: Public Corruption and Government Fraud Section
- Prosecuted white-collar crime. Cases included public corruption, money-laundering, health care fraud, HUD fraud and immigration fraud.
- Prosecuted and tried only case in the Central District that convicted defendant of money-laundering for the purposes of tax evasion.
- United States v. Sorochkin (weapons);
- United States v. Batista (bank fraud, identity theft);
- United States v. Ramirez-Molina (immigration);
- United States v. Boujaoude (passport fraud);
- United States v. Laser Eye Center (health care fraud);
- United States v. Greybor Medical Transportation (fraud, money
- laundering, tax evasion)
- Received award from FBI for Laser Eye Center prosecution.
- Served as Indian Crimes Coordinator and Tribal Liaison for the Central District of California. Coordinated all tribal issues involving the United States Attorney’s Office arising in the Central District of California.
- Served as Immigration Fraud Coordinator
- Headed Department of Justice pilot program designed to effectively prosecute fraud crimes perpetrated against undocumented aliens.
- Served as member of Immigration Fraud Task Force
- Served as chairperson of multi-jurisdictional task force targeting fraud perpetrated by immigration consultants and attorneys. Law enforcement members of the task force included representatives from the United States
- Attorney’s Office—Los Angeles County; the District Attorney’s Office—City of Los Angeles; the California Attorney General’s Office; the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the California State Bar. Full task force also included non-law enforcement groups, including the Mexican American Bar Association, the Coalition for Human Rights, the Asian Pacific American Legal Center and a US Immigration Courts judge.
- International Business Experience
- Worked with local counsel in negotiating several land deals regarding structuring of foreign investment in the Philippines.
- Advised and negotiated real estate deals for various Philippine corporations including:
- Cambridge Real Estate Corporation
- Orsal Development Corporation
- Eco-Alternative Building Concepts Corp.
- Developed and arranged funding for three townhouse complexes near Clark, Philippines
Lectures and Classes:
- White Collar Crime, Adjunct Professor / Instructor, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
- “Thinking about Thinking: Integrating Law, Philosophy & Science”, Teaching Fellow / Instructor, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Philosophy, Visiting Assistant Professor (Part-Time), University of Maryland at Baltimore County
- “Government Investigations: I-9s, LCAs, and Other Immigration-Related Investigations”, 16th Annual American Immigration Lawyers Association, California Chapter
- “Remarks on Federal Law Enforcement in Indian Country within the Central District of California”, Tribal and State Law Enforcement Summit, Rancho Mirage, California
- Civil Enforcement of the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act”, Federal Bureau of Investigation Conference on Gambling. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Rifts Over RFRA: Divergent Approaches to the Free Exercise Clause”, Southern California Philosophy Conference, University of California Irvine, California
- “The Utility of a Philosophy Degree for Lawyers”, California State University, Long Beach Pre-Law Program, Long Beach, California
- “Protected Expression: Towards a Speaker-Oriented Theory”, 73 Denver Law Review 69
- The Court Declines in Fairness: Teague v. Lane”, 25 Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review 184
- Los Angeles County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tem
In Memoriam of Charles T. Spagnola (August 13, 1957 – July 12, 2017)
We are deeply saddened by the passing of our friend and partner Charles T. Spagnola. Mr. Spagnola was a world-class lawyer and founding partner of Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola, & Klausner, LLP (SKT). He made immense contributions to SKT and his clients during his lifetime, and was highly respected both within the firm and by his peers. Since the inception of SKT, Charles applied his extraordinary talent and exemplary leadership in countless ways: as a formidable advocate for clients, an inspiring mentor to many, and a strong practice leader. Chuck was widely known for his spirit and eloquence as a trial lawyer who brought his enthusiasm into the courtroom and mesmerized juries.
Mr. Spagnola maintained a robust practice in civil litigation and criminal defense that focused on representing corporations and business professionals in complex contractual disputes, real estate transactions, copyright and trademark litigation, international trade disputes, commercial leasing and acquisition, and white-collar crime. He also had significant experience in trade secret misappropriation and governmental regulatory matters. Charles took more than 100 matters to a jury trial and had advanced skills in alternative dispute resolution, litigation management, organization, negotiation and strategic planning.
Mr. Spagnola received several honors throughout his career including Martindale-Hubble® Law Directory’s highest national peer review rating of “AV” and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. He was also appointed a judicial hearing officer for the City of Long Beach and Los Angeles Superior Court (2003), certified for civil non-jury trials and unlawful detainers. (2005).
Charles’s many accomplishments and service to SKT have left an enduring imprint on our firm. We will miss Chuck greatly and extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Past Professional Affiliations:
• State Bar of California
• Los Angeles Bar Association
• Long Beach Bar Association
• State Bar of California
• U.S. District Court (Central, Eastern & Southern Districts of California)
• U.S. District Court of Arkansas (Western & Eastern Districts)
• U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
• Licensed California Real Estate Broker
• South Bay Association of Realtors
• California Association of Realtors®
• National Association of Realtors
Past Representative Clients:
• Berg-Nelson Company
• Saigon Communications, Inc. (Saigon TV)
• Roman Catholic Bishop of Orange
• Clevis Management Group, Inc.
• Absolute Graphic Technology – USA, Inc
• Toca, LLP
• Diamond Drapery Company, Inc.
• Diamond Drapery Installation, Inc.
• Spec-Tex, Inc.
• Soccers Elite Corp.
Past Charitable Interests and Community Service:
• Mr. Spagnola served as the secretary on the Julius Sumner Miller Foundation Board of Trustees, an organization dedicated to helping the elderly.Read More
Karl Truong is a partner of Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP (“SKT”) and oversees the firm’s International Practice Group. He focuses on international business transactions, business litigation, intellectual property, and immigration.
Mr. Truong is highly regarded for his expertise in guiding businesses into the U.S. market and foreign investment projects into Asia. His robust involvement working closely with domestic and foreign government officials and agencies dates back to his time in Washington, D.C. Mr. Truong routinely acts for clients doing business internationally, assisting them with corporate expansions & acquisitions, regulatory compliance, and copyright & trademark defense. Furthermore, he assists his clients with their immigration needs, whether it be L1 or EB-1 visas for his corporate clients or the EB-5 visa for individual investors and their families. Mr. Truong regularly rotates through SKT’s offices in Asia.
Mr. Truong’s extensive experience in the international practice of law includes serving as in-house counsel for an international media corporation where he handled regulatory and legal issues. Subsequently, he was invited to Capitol Hill to work for a Member of Congress in the House of Representatives with the responsibility for Commerce, International Relations, Immigration, and Science & Technology issues. Prior to joining SKT, Karl was with the Inter-American Development Bank (“IDB”) in Washington, D.C. where he navigated complex transnational contractual issues, liaised with foreign government officials, and provided legal and technical analysis on Bank and government projects.
Mr. Truong received his J.D. from Chapman University Fowler School of Law and his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the University of California of Riverside.
- Represented an international media corporation accused of copyright infringement. Resulted in a favorable settlement for less than 5% of damages demanded.
- Facilitated the entry of large Asian corporations into the U.S. market through business entity formation, the acquisition of necessary licensing, and adherence to regulatory commercial law.
- Negotiated and secured large real estate leases and acquisitions for foreign manufacturers into Asia.
- Obtained industrial certification and licensing for foreign corporations operating in Asia.
- Advised and liaised with government officials in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Colombia, Panama, and Mexico for transnational energy, transportation, and social projects.
- Negotiated and prepared licensing agreements worldwide for international entertainment corporation.
- Guided Vietnamese and Chinese EB-5 investors through each step of the EB-5 visa
The Future of the Legal Profession feat. Keynote Speaker Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito
“The Global and Multi-jurisdictional Practice of Law”
Mr. Klausner is the Managing Partner of Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP. He is a Certified Family Law Specialist, certified by the State of California, a past President of the Whittier Bar Association, and a current member of the Beverly Hills, Orange County, Whittier and Long Beach Bar Associations. He is also a Certified Minor’s Counsel in Los Angeles County and an arbitrator for the Orange County Bar Association.
Mr. Klausner has been licensed to practice in Arizona since 1994 and in California since 2006. In addition to having been lead counsel in thousands of family law matters, Mr. Klausner regularly handles civil litigation and criminal defense cases, with successful trial results in matters ranging from simple traffic matters to DUI cases and from white-collar matters to first-degree murder charges. Mr. Klausner has been sponsored to appear in family law cases and criminal matters across the United States and has lectured on civil litigation issues internationally.
- University of Arizona College of Law Tucson, Arizona J.D.
- Arizona State University Tempe, Arizona B.A. / History
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Arizona
- Certified Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State of California
- Supreme Court of the United States Bar Association
- Whittier Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association