Joseph S. Schuchert is a Partner at Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP. Mr. Schuchert joined the firm in 2015, following more than thirty years in the practice of law. Mr. Schuchert has a substantial background in securities law, having served as a principal in a private equity fund, a hedge fund, and a family investment office.
Mr. Schuchert continues his emphasis on securities and corporate law, representing corporations and their founders in a broad range of corporate and litigation matters.
In 2017, Mr. Schuchert was appointed as a law lecturer at UC Irvine School of Law, teaching “Alternative Investments- Diverse Legal Issues in an Expanding Asset”.
Mr. Schuchert resides in Southern California with his wife. They are passionate in their support of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and are members of the Peninsula Committee Children’s Hospital.Read More
Attorney & CPA
Our Estate Planning and Tax practice groups are led by Attorney and Certified Public Accountant, Quan A. Vuong.
Quan focuses his practice at Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP on wills and trusts, business formations and transactions, and tax planning and representation. As an attorney and Certified Public Accountant, Quan approaches every issue from a legal and accounting perspective. He takes the time to understand the client’s individual circumstances. Quan’s goal is to solve his client’s problems and create a clear solution that considers the various legal and tax consequences. He wants his clients to take comfort in the knowledge that if they have a problem or subsequently pass on, he will be there to help their children and family members with a smooth distribution of assets according to their wishes and winding up the estate.
Quan received his Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting from CSU Fullerton. Quan later earned his Juris Doctorate Degree and LL.M. (Master of Laws) in Taxation from Chapman University School of Law as a Provost Scholar.
Tax and Estate Planning Experience:
- Worked as Tax Counsel for the Board of Equalization
- Researched tax and legal issues regarding clients’ tax positions and transactions
- Prepared & reviewed tax returns for trusts, estates, individuals, corporations, partnerships, & closely held businesses.
- Prepared analysis schedules for various estate planning techniques, such as sales to an IDGT or transfers to ILIT.
- Prepared income tax projections and asset allocation schedules for estate purposes.
- Provided accounting litigation support for trust litigation matters.
- Prepared estate planning documents (living trusts, wills, advance health care directives, power of attorneys).
- Consult and prepared special needs trusts and irrevocable life insurance trusts.
- Administered trusts and probate estates.
- Worked directly with investment advisers and life insurance agents to meet clients’ needs.
- CSU Fullerton-Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting
- Chapman University School of Law (Provost Scholar) Juris Doctorate Degree and LL.M. (Master of Laws) in Taxation
Quan is fluent in English and Vietnamese.
In Memoriam of Charles T. Spagnola (August 13, 1957 – July 12, 2017)
We are deeply saddened by the passing of our friend and partner Charles T. Spagnola. Mr. Spagnola was a world-class lawyer and founding partner of Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola, & Klausner, LLP (SKT). He made immense contributions to SKT and his clients during his lifetime, and was highly respected both within the firm and by his peers. Since the inception of SKT, Charles applied his extraordinary talent and exemplary leadership in countless ways: as a formidable advocate for clients, an inspiring mentor to many, and a strong practice leader. Chuck was widely known for his spirit and eloquence as a trial lawyer who brought his enthusiasm into the courtroom and mesmerized juries.
Mr. Spagnola maintained a robust practice in civil litigation and criminal defense that focused on representing corporations and business professionals in complex contractual disputes, real estate transactions, copyright and trademark litigation, international trade disputes, commercial leasing and acquisition, and white-collar crime. He also had significant experience in trade secret misappropriation and governmental regulatory matters. Charles took more than 100 matters to a jury trial and had advanced skills in alternative dispute resolution, litigation management, organization, negotiation and strategic planning.
Mr. Spagnola received several honors throughout his career including Martindale-Hubble® Law Directory’s highest national peer review rating of “AV” and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. He was also appointed a judicial hearing officer for the City of Long Beach and Los Angeles Superior Court (2003), certified for civil non-jury trials and unlawful detainers. (2005).
Charles’s many accomplishments and service to SKT have left an enduring imprint on our firm. We will miss Chuck greatly and extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Past Professional Affiliations:
• State Bar of California
• Los Angeles Bar Association
• Long Beach Bar Association
• State Bar of California
• U.S. District Court (Central, Eastern & Southern Districts of California)
• U.S. District Court of Arkansas (Western & Eastern Districts)
• U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
• Licensed California Real Estate Broker
• South Bay Association of Realtors
• California Association of Realtors®
• National Association of Realtors
Past Representative Clients:
• Berg-Nelson Company
• Saigon Communications, Inc. (Saigon TV)
• Roman Catholic Bishop of Orange
• Clevis Management Group, Inc.
• Absolute Graphic Technology – USA, Inc
• Toca, LLP
• Diamond Drapery Company, Inc.
• Diamond Drapery Installation, Inc.
• Spec-Tex, Inc.
• Soccers Elite Corp.
Past Charitable Interests and Community Service:
• Mr. Spagnola served as the secretary on the Julius Sumner Miller Foundation Board of Trustees, an organization dedicated to helping the elderly.Read More
Siobhan Bishop joins us with over 15 years of writs, appeals and civil experience. She has done every kind of appeal and writ. She has represented clients in insurance bad faith cases, business litigation, products liability, premises liability, employment discrimination, professional liability and public entity. She has argued and won several cases before the California Appellate Court. In our civil practice group, Siobhan has drafted many successful motions for summary judgment and summary adjudication. For example, she has drafted and argued several motions for summary judgment on issues including negligence, insurance agent liability, breach of fiduciary duty and trade secrets. She also assists us in our family law appeals. Siobhan has had the winning argument in appellate briefs on behalf of parents whose parental rights have been terminated.
In short, Siobhan is a brilliant attorney and when there are complex legal issues, she is the one you want to have figuring it out.
- Kalamazoo College Kalamazoo, Michigan, B.A.
- Whittier Law School Costa Mesa, CA, J.D.
Karl Truong is a partner of Schuchert, Krieger, Truong, Spagnola & Klausner, LLP (“SKT”) and oversees the firm’s International Practice Group. He focuses on international business transactions, business litigation, intellectual property, and immigration.
Karl is highly regarded for his expertise in guiding businesses into the U.S. market and foreign investment projects into Asia. His robust involvement working closely with domestic and foreign government officials and agencies dates back to his time in Washington, D.C. Karl routinely acts for clients doing business internationally, assisting them with corporate expansions & acquisitions, regulatory compliance, and copyright & trademark defense. Furthermore, he assists his clients with their immigration needs, whether it be L1 or EB-1 visas for his corporate clients or the EB-5 visa for individual investors and their families. Karl regularly rotates through SKT’s offices in Asia.
Karl’s extensive experience in the international practice of law includes serving as in-house counsel for an international media corporation where he responded regulatory and legal issues. Subsequently, he was invited to Capitol Hill to work for a Member of Congress in the House of Representatives with the responsibility for Commerce, International Relations, Immigration, and Science & Technology issues. Prior to joining SKT, Karl was with the Inter-American Development Bank (“IDB”) in Washington, D.C. where he navigated complex transnational contractual issues, liaised with foreign government officials, and provided legal and technical analysis on Bank and government projects.
Karl received his J.D. from Chapman University Fowler School of Law and his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the University of California of Riverside.
- Represented an international media corporation accused of copyright infringement. Resulted in favorable settlement for less than 5% of damages demanded.
- Facilitated the entry of large Asian corporations into the U.S. market through business entity formation, the acquisition of necessary licensing, and adherence to regulatory commercial law.
- Negotiated and secured large real estate leases and acquisitions for foreign manufacturers into Asia.
- Obtained industrial certification and licensing for foreign corporations operating in Asia.
- Advised and liaised with government officials in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Colombia, Panama, and Mexico for transnational energy, transportation, and social projects.
- Negotiated and prepared licensing agreements worldwide for international entertainment corporation.
- Guided Vietnamese and Chinese EB-5 investors through each step of the EB-5 visa
The Future of the Legal Profession feat. Keynote Speaker Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito
“The Global and Multi-jurisdictional Practice of Law”
John’s practice focuses on the areas of civil litigation, real estate and business transactions and white collar criminal defense. John was a Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney for fifteen years and was assigned as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for four of those years. He has wide-ranging experience in general business and commercial litigation matters, including contractual and real property disputes, unfair competition, business torts, class actions, provisional remedies and enforcement of judgments. John has had over 100 jury trials in California Superior and Federal District Courts. He has also been involved in transactions that included the purchase and sale of numerous businesses with valuations as high as 100 million dollars. John is licensed to practice in all of the Courts of the State of California, the Federal Courts for the Central and Southern Districts, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
John received his B.A. with honors from San Francisco State University in 1965 where he majored in Finance and Marketing and his J.D. from the University of Southern California in 1968. He has been involved in considerable charitable endeavors wherein he served as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Orange County Division of the American Cancer Society, was a founding Board Member of the Orange County Wellness Center and was a long time member of the Board of Directors of United Way.
John and his wife, Myra, live in Corona Del Mar and he especially enjoys being with his daughter and son and their three grandchildren. In his spare time, which is quite limited, John travels, plays golf and reads whatever he can get his hands on.
• University of Southern California Law Center, Los Angeles, California J.D. – 1968
• San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California B.A. With Honors– 1965
Major: Finance and Marketing
- California, 1969
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1969
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1969
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit