In Memoriam of Charles T. Spagnola (August 13, 1957 – July 12, 2017)
We are deeply saddened by the passing of our friend,colleague and Founding Partner Charles T. Spagnola. Mr. Spagnola was a world-class lawyer. He made immense contributions to SKT and his clients during his lifetime, and was highly respected both within the firm and by his peers. Charles applied his extraordinary talent and exemplary leadership in countless ways: as a formidable advocate for clients, an inspiring mentor to many, and a strong practice leader. Chuck was widely known for his spirit and eloquence as a trial lawyer who brought his enthusiasm into the courtroom and mesmerized juries.
Mr. Spagnola maintained a robust practice in civil litigation and criminal defense that focused on representing corporations and business professionals in complex contractual disputes, real estate transactions, copyright and trademark litigation, international trade disputes, commercial leasing and acquisition, and white-collar crime. He also had significant experience in trade secret misappropriation and governmental regulatory matters. Charles took more than 100 matters to a jury trial and had advanced skills in alternative dispute resolution, litigation management, organization, negotiation and strategic planning.
Mr. Spagnola received several honors throughout his career including Martindale-Hubble® Law Directory’s highest national peer review rating of “AV” and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. He was also appointed a judicial hearing officer for the City of Long Beach and Los Angeles Superior Court (2003), certified for civil non-jury trials and unlawful detainers. (2005).
Chuck’s many accomplishments and service to SKT have left an enduring imprint on our firm. We will miss him greatly.
Past Professional Affiliations:
• State Bar of California
• Los Angeles Bar Association
• Long Beach Bar Association
• State Bar of California
• U.S. District Court (Central, Eastern & Southern Districts of California)
• U.S. District Court of Arkansas (Western & Eastern Districts)
• U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
• Licensed California Real Estate Broker
• South Bay Association of Realtors
• California Association of Realtors®
• National Association of Realtors
Past Representative Clients:
• Berg-Nelson Company
• Saigon Communications, Inc. (Saigon TV)
• Roman Catholic Bishop of Orange
• Clevis Management Group, Inc.
• Absolute Graphic Technology – USA, Inc
• Toca, LLP
• Diamond Drapery Company, Inc.
• Diamond Drapery Installation, Inc.
• Spec-Tex, Inc.
• Soccers Elite Corp.
Past Charitable Interests and Community Service:
• Mr. Spagnola served as the secretary on the Julius Sumner Miller Foundation Board of Trustees, an organization dedicated to helping the elderly.Read More
Karl Truong is a Founding partner of SKT Law, P.C. (“SKT“) and oversees the firm’s International Practice Group. He focuses on international business transactions, business litigation, intellectual property, and immigration.
Mr. Truong is highly regarded for his expertise in guiding businesses into the U.S. market and foreign investment projects into Asia. His robust involvement working closely with domestic and foreign government officials and agencies dates back to his time in Washington, D.C. Mr. Truong routinely acts for clients doing business internationally, assisting them with corporate expansions & acquisitions, regulatory compliance, and copyright & trademark defense. Furthermore, he assists his clients with their immigration needs, whether it be L1 or EB-1 visas for his corporate clients or the EB-5 visa for individual investors and their families. Mr. Truong regularly rotates through SKT’s offices in Asia.
Karl’s extensive experience in the international practice of law includes serving as in-house counsel for an international media corporation where he handled regulatory and legal issues. Subsequently, he was invited to Capitol Hill to work for a Member of Congress in the House of Representatives with the responsibility for Commerce, International Relations, Immigration, and Science & Technology issues. Prior to Founding SKT, Karl was with the Inter-American Development Bank (“IDB”) in Washington, D.C. where he navigated complex transnational contractual issues, liaised with foreign government officials, and provided legal and technical analysis on Bank and government projects.
Mr. Truong received his J.D. from Chapman University Fowler School of Law and his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the University of California of Riverside.
- Represented an international media corporation accused of copyright infringement. Resulted in a favorable settlement for less than 5% of damages demanded.
- Facilitated the entry of large Asian corporations into the U.S. market through business entity formation, the acquisition of necessary licensing, and adherence to regulatory commercial law.
- Negotiated and secured large real estate leases and acquisitions for foreign manufacturers into Asia.
- Obtained industrial certification and licensing for foreign corporations operating in Asia.
- Advised and liaised with government officials in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Colombia, Panama, and Mexico for transnational energy, transportation, and social projects.
- Negotiated and prepared licensing agreements worldwide for international entertainment corporation.
- Guided Vietnamese and Chinese EB-5 investors through each step of the EB-5 visa
The Future of the Legal Profession feat. Keynote Speaker Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito
“The Global and Multi-jurisdictional Practice of Law”